Maybe you desire to travel but don’t have sufficient funds to do so. You might be saving up for graduate school, paying off student loans, or barely scraping by the paycheck for next month’s rent. That’s okay. We all have to start somewhere. But to work towards the freedom to travel, you need to have financial stability. What if you aren’t there yet? You need to make the means for yourself to become financially independent. Easier said than done, I know.
If you feel lost or even slightly unsatisfied with where you are in life, here’s a step-by-step guide to get back on the right track. Write down your answers and look at them each morning. Don’t let yourself skip any of these questions if you really want to find your path.
- Define your perfect world, then set out to make it your reality. Picture yourself 5 years from now – are you in medical school? Do you have enough money to travel wherever you want? Have you started your own business? Maybe you don’t want any of this. Are you married, with kids? Have you moved to the city you’ve always dreamed of living in?
- This step, for some, will be the hardest. But you can’t reach your dreams and have an amazing life if you don’t know what your dreams are! So think hard about what you enjoy doing. Maybe ask your friends and family what they think you would be good at!
- Map out what it takes to get there, and don’t let anything deter you. Believe me, you can do it. Any hesitations you have will pass if you’re determined to make it work. Maybe you need to go back to school and take a class that you’ve always dreaded. Do it. Don’t let your brain push your dreams away out of fear. Let yourself fight the hard fights. I promise you it will be worth it.
- Reach out to 3-5 individuals who embody who you want to become. A great way to find these individuals is through LinkedIn. Look up some of your dream careers and simply do a few cold-messages and emails asking for 15 minutes of their time to learn about their career paths and their advice for your individual scenario. Ask them for their opinions on one thing you can do today to get you closer to where they are.
- Take their advice and build a daily routine to work hard doing it. Go for the small wins. Step by step, re-create yourself by following the map you’ve created and the advice from your mentors.
- Fight your brain when it wants to be lazy. The same way that you have to not listen to your brain when it tells you to go back to sleep in the morning, you have to fight your brain’s urges to want to not do anything to work towards your goal.
Believe me, you can do it, you just have to want it enough! Help yourself gain the financial freedom to travel and see the world.